Saturday, January 11, 2014

I Changed My Wants!

      During a therapeutic journaling session a few months ago, I came to the conclusion that there are two things I wanted right then: a good night's sleep and a clean house. I immediately became discouraged, realizing that I wouldn't have either anytime soon. Since then, every time I thought about how much I wanted sleep and a clean house, I felt depressed.
       Then, a couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed to change what I want, since what I wanted was not making me happy. After some thought, I decided that I was going to want, instead, emotionally healthy and spiritually strong children. Every time the previous "wants" popped into my head, I recited, "No, I don't want that. I want this."
       It took a couple of days, but I really changed my wants. And you know what? I am so much happier now! I still wouldn't mind a good night sleep and a clean house, but I am no longer troubled by their absence. When the baby wakes eight times a night due to a new tooth, instead of feeling angry that she woke me, I feel love and compassion for her. Instead of fuming over the crumbs left on the table and floor, I remember that my children are still just children; they are still learning, and I love them more than I dislike their messes.
Now, I realize that ultimately my children determine how they will turn out. But the point is, I am being proactive about my own happiness and well-being, rather than focusing on what I cannot have. And that small change has made a huge difference. For my entire family.

1 comment:

  1. Very Zen.
    My relatives are my favorite source of entertainment!

    ReplyDelete