Monday, March 16, 2015

The Secret



 


“Doesn’t matter when,
It’s always a good time then.
Doesn’t matter where,
It’s always a good time there.
Doesn’t matter when,
It’s always a good time then.”
Owl City, Good Time

Taking a closer look, I pressed the Scotch-bright pad into the stubborn spot.  I couldn’t recall the last time the stove-top had had a good cleaning, but this particular spot was getting it.  Words continued pouring from my mouth as I scrubbed.  I had asked a child to help with a chore, and as sometimes happens, received a complaining response.

I glanced back at the 10-year-old.  Much to my surprise, he appeared to be paying attention, so I completed the lecture.

I returned my attention to the spot on the stove. Except for the Scotch-bright scraping back and forth across the burnt food, the room was quiet.  Then, from over at the computer desk, my husband spoke up.  “Wow.  That was really profound, Honey.”

I stopped scrubbing.  Huh?  What was he talking about?  What did I just say? I reversed the conversation in my head to the last thing I had told my son.  “You can either choose to complain, or you can choose to be grateful.  There will always be a reason to do both.”

I repeated it aloud to myself.

“You’re right.”  I said back.  “That is profound, isn’t it?”

I can’t claim that I came up with that knowledge on my own.  I give credit to God for that bit of wisdom, and I am not the only person who has received it. But the principle that, in any given set of circumstances, I can either find reasons to complain or I can look for the blessings and express gratitude, is a principle that I apply daily.

Several years ago I purchased an inexpensive, cute little notebook, with the intention of writing down everything for which I was thankful.  For several days I recorded all of the usual things that pop up on Facebook during the month of November when the world catches on to the Gratitude Kick: family, friends, God, etcetera.  What was neat, though, is to see all of the other things I started noticing after all of the usual topics were covered.  Now, please do not misunderstand, I AM grateful for the people in my life, and I think recognizing those blessings is important. But I have learned to see the value of expressing gratitude about the little things that tend to go unnoticed every day.  Like clean sheets. And indoor plumbing.  Hot water. Wood. Telephones, email, green grass in the summertime, fresh dirt in the spring, a car that works. This morning I wrote down “really soft pillow cases.”

After noticing all of the little things, there is another level.  When I find myself in a situation which, on the outset, appears negative, I look for the blessings hiding in the situation.  I am grateful when my children fight because I can teach them appropriate conflict resolution skills.  I am grateful when I find dirty silverware in the drawer because my children helped wash the dishes.  I am grateful when my husband works late all week because he is dedicated to providing for our family.  I am grateful when the car has a flat tire because I have a chance to prove that I can stay positive.
           
Last spring, my husband’s health took a nasty turn, and he landed in the hospital for several days. Friends and family jumped to the rescue, bringing meals, caring for my children, and cleaning my house so that I could be with him.  Naturally, I felt grateful for these many acts of service.  Every day, someone would look me straight in the eye and ask, “How are you doing?” I could tell by the tone of the question that he or she was expecting me to be falling apart with worry and stress.  But I wasn’t.  I had mastered the skill of being grateful in any circumstance, and this was no exception. Even confronting the possibility that my husband might be very ill and unable to work for a long time did not shake the thankful attitude I carried inside. I continually found hidden blessings throughout the experience, and look back on that time with happy memories.

As Zig Ziglar stated, “The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more you will have to express gratitude for.”

Go.  Start counting your many blessings today!

“Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is…Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;”  Ephesians 5: 17, 20

“In everything give thanks.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

  1. And I am grateful for your blogs. They are meaningful, simple, and lovely messages, just like the photos that accompany them.

    ReplyDelete